Friday, February 29, 2008

And the clouds parted.

As if raising money for thousands of individuals suffering through and often beating leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease, and myeloma wasn't enough, I now feel like I have a very personal stake in raising money and competing in this event.  I feel like my purpose has been entirely redefined, and I welcome this opportunity.

Above is a photo of one of the most important people to me, with her mother and father at the Grand Canyon.  Her father, Arun, was diagnosed with lymphoma, and, after a long struggle, he lost the battle on June 7, 2007.  I remember the way I felt when my friend told me the news of his condition, and I remember listening to her description of his declining health and his fight against the disease.  I felt helpless, because I love her so much, and I know how much she adored her father.  I'd met him on her birthday before, and his joviality and good humor really made an impression on me.  His passing affected me, deeply and vividly.

And so, today, in honor of my friendship with her and my love for her family, I have decided that I am running this marathon in Arun's memory.  I am honored to undertake this task for him.

No comments: