Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride.

Yesterday, I decided something. I decided that if I'm gonna run a half-marathon in a month and a half, I needed to prove it to myself. Prove that no matter what the physical discrepancies that affect me, I can push through it without killing myself and just do it already.

And yesterday, K-Mo and I? We did just that.

She did 12.4 miles. I did 10.5 miles.

I did it. I did it!

That's almost 80% of my race, and I did it.

And now I know that, no matter what this IT band of mine does (stings, whines, prevents me from running for three or four weeks at a time), that I can rally back, through cross-training and watching how I treat it and being mindful of this syndrome, and that I have enough time to rally back and do that half-marathon up right. Okay, so a marathon isn't in my immediate future. But you know what? I don't have to rule it out entirely for the rest of the year. It's just gonna take awhile, but I can do it.

Yes, I am in pain today. IT bands aren't quiet creatures, mind you. Ice and Advil are my friends, and, above all, "Rest, rest, rest" is my new mantra. But do I know that, between rest and cross-training, I'm going to be able to run again? Yes. Do I know that my body can handle 10 miles (or more) at a clip without too much damage? Yes. Am I doing the right thing? Now I know that yes, I am.

Most importantly, have I regained my confidence to the degree that I know ain't nothing's gonna slow me down (oh no)? Oh yes. I've got to keep on movin'.

I'm not healed. I'm not cured. But I am galvanized.

If you'll excuse a little break from repose for a moment, HELL FUCKING YEAH!

No comments: