Saturday, February 23, 2008

Happiness is running four miles before 8:00 a.m.

Hooray, my first Saturday group run! I woke up at 6:15 a.m., headed out by 6:40 a.m., and we were off and running by about 7:15 a.m. We ran four miles today at Memorial Park, and gawddammit, I feel fantastic! I didn't struggle with fatigue or pain during the run at all, although my tummy did feel sloshy. I went #2 beforehand to avoid that (sorry, but this is running for you!), but apparently that wasn't good enough. It subsided after awhile, but at the tail end of the run, I felt that feeling again. Not sure what it was caused by. I talked to my coach about it a little bit, and he says it's usually caused by overhydration, but I didn't drink a lot of water before the run this time. Oh well. It'll work itself out.

I ran for the first time in my Team in Training mesh jersey today, and whoa! What a difference it made in terms of my body temperature! I felt like my body was able to breathe, which was really different from how I'd felt during my run on Thursday.

I went to Finish Strong after practice (and of course, I wrote a review about it) to score some new running shoes and some running apparel. My ankle didn't hurt during the run, but it was really tender afterwards, and I felt the all-too-familiar strain on my knees kicking in as well. Apparently I underpronate, which good shoes will address. Which also explains the aches.

I figure, the more time, energy, and money I invest into this project, the more I will stick with it. Not that I'm feeling like dropping out or anything. But when the runs get longer and more difficult, I know my motivation is going to be put to the test. And I'm preparing myself for it now.

What I am worried about is my fundraising. I realize I still have to work on my physical, paper letters (which I will send to, um, my doctor and my dentist?), but I sent a whole bunch of e-mail last week, and I'm a bit disappointed with the turnout. I know people love me, and I know they support me. But perhaps it was too long? Perhaps they know they have until June to donate? No sense of urgency? No belief in the cause?

I don't know. Only $5,100 to go! Yikes.

No comments: