Tuesday, February 26, 2008

You'll have that.

I am really beginning to love running again.  And I love our Monday two-mile group runs and stamina training.  But I think I am beginning to realize, however, that I do not like night runs.  I feel much more sluggish at night, to the degree where it feels like I'm pulling myself forward.  Not pushing, but actually pulling.  It's an odd feeling.  Not one I am comfortable with, especially after how well the four mile run went on Saturday. 

Needless to say, last night was a bad run for me.  I had to stop to walk a few times, stop for water a few times, and my heart was hurting.  I didn't feel like I could catch a full breath at all.  I'm not sure if my sports bra was too tight or if it was just the events of the day.  At any rate, I know there'll be bad runs, and you just have to power through them.  So that's exactly what I did.

I love that we ended the evening with a Swedish mile.  I really like my teammates; they're quality people.  I feel completely comfortable and unembarrassed around them, even though I'm one of the slowest in the pack.  It's a lucky thing, this dynamic.  It keeps me pulling forward.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so impressed by your dedication and commitment and the fact that you just keep going. as someone who used to love running once upon a time but hasn't run in years and is scared to really try again, i'm so excited to see that people who don't consider themselves 'runners' can still launch right into running - and running amazingly!
you're doing rockingly, and i'm rooting for you all the way!

PS: what is a 'swedish mile'?

Unknown said...

what the eff is a "swedish mile"? I'm thinking about the Muppet Show song that finishes with "Chicken"

Fayza said...

It is, perhaps, improper terminology, but that's what we called it in high school. Everyone jogs together in a single file line, and the person at the end runs to the front of the line and sets the pace for the rest. It continues like that until everyone has run to the front of the line, putting the first person back at the end. My coaches made it a team-building exercise, since as we ran to the front of the line, we had to yell out our names, and everyone we passed in the line had to yell out our names, too.

Anonymous said...

s we ran to the front of the line, we had to yell out our names, and everyone we passed in the line had to yell out our names, too.

oh, that's so AWESOME.
totally sweet, and rockstar material. made me smile. =)
man, the swedish mile seems like enough to make me want to start running again.